Tuesday, February 8, 2011

wk1 response – @ Andrea Shike

Response based on Andrea Shike's original comment blog post.




@ Andrea Shike,

I totally understand your fear. I also try to use my own pictures and now, more than ever, I try to keep updating my visual repertoire. I teach Spanish, so I have to use a lot of visuals in my vocabulary and grammar presentations. However, when I ran out of pictures, I use Microsoft Clip Art as we can use them since we have bought a license with them. I also ask my students to bring in their own pictures or to use Clip Art for their projects, and I always ask them to cite properly. I feel like I just can't be safe enough. I think that copyright culture as it stands right now is a culture of fear and punishment and I think it should be different. I think that there should be right to ownership and yet freedom to take in what has been given to us and create from it our own understanding. Where there's freedom, there's growth and learning. I still think that copyright is necessary, especially to protect and honor the creator, but I think that its fundamentals need to be reexamined. At the core, that's what the culture of remix that we saw in Good Copy Bad Copy is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment